Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crippie Meets A Bunch of Dead Relatives

Greetings

Yup, I still suck at posting regularly. On the bright side, April is another "National Health Blog Post Month" so hopefully that will get me back into a blogging routine again.

As today's title suggests, this week has been an interesting one. There was a death in the family over the weekend so I attended the funeral in NYC on Sunday. I don't want to say I had a "good time" but it was certainly an unusual day. Apart from seeing lots of living relatives I got to "meet" some of my relatives who are no longer with us. Before the service we went to a nearby cemetery to visit a family plot where some of my great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents on my father's side are buried. It was nice to be formally introduced to them.

Those were not the only living-impared relatives I met on Sunday. Before I tell you, here's a little backstory. The funeral was held at the cemetery, it is a MASSIVE Jewish cemetery in NYC. When I say massive I mean MASSIVE. Dead Jews as far as the eye can see (yup, I'm going to hell). Here's picture of a teensy weensy corner so you can get a slight visual idea.

The relative we lost was on my father's side of the family. Once we found out which cemetery she'd be laid to rest in we realized we had other relatives there... on my mother's side of the family. We figured we'd visit them if we could, but hell, this cemetery is so huge chances are we won't be able to. Weeeeellllllllllllll it turns out that my newly deceased aunt on my father's side is buried eerily close to my relatives on my mother's side. Less than a 5 minute walk to visit both of 'em. That's pretty freaking amazing, especially considering the size of this place. Thus I was formally introduced to some of my great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents on my mother's side. I enjoyed seeing my great-grandparents and giving them all their appropriate greetings. But man, it really is a small world after all.

After the service I went to a restaurant with my living relatives and we all celebrated my late aunt with family, memories, and delicious food.

I miss my aunt very much, she was a strong, independent women who loved life. She stayed strong all the way to the end. When she found out that her time was coming, she decided to make the best out of the situation and planned for a kick-ass service. Seriously, it was a lovely service and everything looked lovely, as per her specifications ;)

Love you Aunt Bobs, rise & fly.

Crippie's Tippie - Like I've said before, appreciate the people you have while you have them.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss.

    It was nice you got to learn so much about your family though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could visit my deceased relatives as with my Dad and Mom and brother but they are so far away. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Condolences

    From one MHE'er to another MHE'er

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...