Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Oh Have A Heart

Yo!

Happy Wednesday everybody, hope it was a good one. My day was certainly eventful to say the least. Today was pre-op day. Usually my pre-ops are a breeze, a quick exam with relatively quick clearance. Alas, wasn't so simple this time around.

It appears that my heart is kinda special. Ya see, there have been times after surgery where my heart rate has either been high or irregular. It wasn't a huge deal or anything, I was just kept in the recovery room for a little while longer. When Pointy was removed my heart started racing while I was in recovery. A nurse woke me up to tell me this. I don't remember exactly what I said to her, but it was something along the lines of "that's great... NOW LET ME SLEEP". Ultimately my heart goes back to normal and I'm on my merry little way. I tell my doctors about it, but I really don't think anything of it.

Well, today I mentioned to my doctor that my heart will occasionally spazz out during recovery. The doctor did a quick examination and discovered that my heart is on the fast side... grrrrreeeeeeaaaaaaaatttttttttttt. At this point he makes me have an EKG and more blood work done to rule out a thyroid issue... super dooper. The EKG also said my heart was fast. I was starting to get nervous, I thought I wasn't going to get clearance. My mind was probably racing faster than my heart at that point (and if anyone is wondering, I don't feel my heart racing or anything, I had no idea my heart rate was high).

Fiiiinnnnnnaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy the doctor came back in and gave me my clearance... HALLELUJAH! BUT he's still concerned about my heart. I need to take some heart medicine before and after the surgery to slow it down a little, I'm also gonna need to have an echocardiogram one of these days. Funness. So yeah, definitely a whirlwind appointment, but I got my clearance for surgery. That's all that matters.

So, factoring in the potential heart problems, am I nervous yet? Meh. I doubt that there's anything "wrong" with my heart per say, I think it's just quirky. My dad is the same way. I'm kinda glad that my doctor is gonna try to fix the quirks for surgery sake. Hopefully the medicine will prevent any nurses from waking me up in the middle of my nap this time!

Crippie's Tippie - Tell your doctors about your little "quirks", they kinda need to know about 'em

1 comment:

  1. Wow - nothing like a little scary news just before surgery. You are so calm, cool and collected friend. I don't remember when surgery is, but maybe tomorrow!! I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers and will be anxious to hear how it went. Hopefully your mom will pop in with a new bulletin. Oh, Mario is going to purr for you, so for sure you are in good hands --- err paws!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...