Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Big D

Sup Everybody?

ENTER TO WIN MY REALLY AWESOMELY DESIGNED T-SHIRT HERE!!!!

I just finished cleaning the guinea pigs cages (they say hi btw), figured I'd get a quick blog post in before bed. I just checked my comment section and saw that someone asked me about my opinion on filing for disability. I've never filed for disability, but I probs will if I ever need to have major surgery again (btw, thanks Aflac for not covering pre-existing conditions... go duck yourselves).

Filing for disability is not something to be taken lightly. You don't get a whole lot of money and if you have health insurance you could lose benefits. I see filing for disability as an absolute last resort. My advice to anyone with a disability is to (as unfortunate as this sounds) plan your career around your disability. I have chronic pain and fatigue, thus I chose a career that involves sitting at a desk all day. Have social anxiety? Plan something that doesn't involve a whole lot of social interaction. Naturally you should pick something that you love to do but you really have to take your disability into consideration. I know this sounds really harsh but we have to be realistic. We also have to do our best to keep our symptoms at bay. I regularly see my pain management doctor to keep my pain levels at a tolerable amount. Of course everyone's situation is different. If you are really, really sick and cannot make enough money to support by all means file away. To summarize on the original question on whether or not it is a "good idea" to file for disability or not, if you have exhausted all other options, if you cannot function even when you are being properly treated, then filing would not be a bad idea.

Crippie's Tippie- If your disability doesn't always render you useless, I suggest seeing if your state has services that help cripples get employment. They can help you find some form of work that can be more accommodating to your needs. Crippie used this place to help her find employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...