Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11



Hi everyone,

As we all know, today was the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks. I've lived in New York all of my life, so my memories of that day and the aftermath are very vivid.

Where was I when I heard the news- I was 12 years old. I was in my third period science class. The principal came on the PA system and said that two planes had crashed into the Twin Towers and an addition plane had crashed into the pentagon. After the announcement my teacher looked down on the ground for a second, shook his head, and continued with the lesson.

When did I realize that the world had forever changed- When I came home from school I saw the footage of the towers falling. I got a feeling in the pit of my stomach that the world would never be the same.

The Aftermath- My dad works in the city. He was on a rooftop when the plane that was going to hit the South Tower flew over his head. He saw the faces of the people in the plane. Over the next few days we learned about neighbors and friends who had lost someone in the attack. One of my little sister's classmates lost her father and uncle. I remember going to her father's memorial service. I saw that little seven year old girl dressed in black clinging to her mother and I thought "what in the hell did this girl do to deserve this".

How did this effect my life- Before 9/11 the world's problems didn't seem that terrible. It really was the loss of innocence. Everything changed from that point on, for worse and for better.


Crippie's Tippie- May we never forget the lives lost on that terrible day, may we never forget the people who were effected in some way or another. And most importantly, may we never let it happen again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...