Sunday, July 24, 2011

Disability & The Work Force

Greetings,

I've been a college graduate for a few months now, and unfortunately I'm still unemployed. This isn't an uncommon problem for people with disabilities. Along with the general sucky-ness of the job market, having a disability puts further strain on my search...
--- No really long commutes. I have chronic fatigue so driving home late at night after a long days work could be kinda dangerous.
--- No subways. Thanks to my RSD my legs are vibration sensitive (in other words my legs hurt when a floor shakes). Sadly, this kinda eliminates the possibility for me to work in the city, which is pretty much every graphic designers dream. The money I'm saving by not having a NYC apartment makes me feel slightly better about this.
---Nothing involving significant amounts of physical labor. I think that one speaks for itself.

While I would just like to find ANY JOB, unlike my "normal" friends I do not have to the luxury of being able to find a "teenage job" like a waitress for the time being. I had a dandy conversation with my grandmother about this subject.

Grannie- How's the job hunt coming?
Crippie- I'm applying to everything I see
Grannie- You should find a small job in the meantime, like a waitress
Crippie- But I can't walk....
Grannie- Retail?
Crippie- Can't lift heavy objects and I can't stand for more than 10 minutes without it hurting
Grannie- hhhhmmmmm
Crippie- yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Grannie- yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh



So in the meantime I have been looking locally for any jobs that I might even sorta qualify for. Also, the program that paid for my driving lessons, part of my education, etc has a job placement office. I didn't want to use their help, but it looks like I need it. I have an intake appointment on Wednesday with them. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Also, I'm trying to see what I can do on the interwebz as far as making money and finding freelance clients. I'm going to be writing articles for blogcritics.org about whatever my little heart desires. At the moment I feel like writing reviews for "pretty books" :D.

Additionally, I've been getting more comfortable with styling my blog and adding HTML/CSS goodies. If anyone out in the blog-o-sphere would like a blogger redesign, HIT CRIPPIE UP. I designed my blog and I am also currently working on THIS blog's design as well. I'll do anything from a badge, banner, to the whole damn blog!

So yeah, expect several job related posts in the next coming weeks/months. Wish Crippie luck!

Crippie's Tippie For Pre-Work Force Crippies- Go to school and become educated in something that a) you enjoy doing and b) you can physically do. Desk jobs seem to do nicely.
Crippie's Tippie For Work Force Age Crippies- There are places and programs that help you find jobs.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! There are a ton of freelancing jobs on the internet, they usually pay shit but at least it's something.

    PS. I love the cartoon. Just thinking about the economy pisses me off. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, congrats on graduating! Girl, I can TOTALLY relate. I've had so many work issues since becoming disabled in 2001. I found out I was getting paid less than the 2 new hires I personally trained at a job I had in 2004. (I quit!!) One of the girls I'd trained informed me of the situation after we became good friends. She quit when I quit b/c it pissed her off. There have been other jobs I've filled out applications for & they'll call me & sound all excited by my qualifications & then I get there and they find out about my disability & see my hands (I lost several fingers from the same disease I lost my legs to) and suddenly, you can see the mood on their face completely change They'll make the interview much shorter than they'd said it would be & then I never hear back from them. It can really get to you. I'm actually going to beauty school in Spring to become a lisenced aesthetician & I already worry that my hands are going to cause me issues b/c I'm sure there will be people who won't want a girl who's missing fingers to be touching all on their face. BUT, it's what I dream of doing & I refuse to let my disability get it the way!! Don't give up! The right job will eventually come along. =)
    http://beautyandthedisability.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...