Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reproducing & Producing Problems

Hello,

YAY I've reached over 800 views! As you might have noticed, I'm sprucing up the blog a little. What can I say, I'm a graphic designer... I'll never be happy with how it looks.

Anyway, as a reward for having over 800 page views I figured I would answer the most controversial question I've been asked. "Can you have kids, and if you can, should you?". This question is very sensitive and has flamed many an internet forum. First off, technically I can have children. Now on to the science. My genetic disorder is caused by a dominant gene. This means that only one parent needs to carry the gene for the child to get the disorder. Assuming my at the moment imaginary husband does not carry the gene there is a 50% chance of me passing on the gene to my child. So, just how like my kid could be a boy or a girl, my kid could be normal or a cripple.
Let's move on to ethics. Should I have a kid or try to have a kid willingly knowing that said kid could be a cripple. Here's my take on the situation... while my disability sucks, it's manageable and not terminal.
-But you're willingly making your kid's life difficult
Life is always gonna be difficult, plus I have knowledge and experience as a cripple to make the kid's life less suck-y.
-But your kid is going to be in pain.
Valid point here. I'm not a parent but I can assume that this would be the hardest part of have a cripple as a child, and knowing that it is my fault would be insanely hard. Again, pain sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Pain can be treated and in my opinion dealing with it has made me a stronger person in the end.
-But your kid is gonna be teased!
Weakest.argument.ever. Everyone is teased.
-But you're passing a disability through your bloodline, it could continue for generations
Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh, I'll admit, I don't want to be the reason my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandkids are cripples. But again, it's not like I'm passing on some life ruining disease that turns you into a potato, it is manageable.

So what is my overall take on the situation? As long as you are not passing along a terminal illness (and by terminal illness I mean guaranteed to die) go for it. Having a disability is not the end of the world. People with disabilities can lead very productive lives, so why be ashamed!

Crippie's Tippie- Genetic testing is also becoming more of an option, so those who totally disagree with me can spend the money to have IVF selecting only non-cripple eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...