Sunday, April 17, 2011

You're Not Alone

Greetings

One question that I get asked every so often is "Do you feel alone?". When I was younger (around 10) the answer was "OH MY GOD YES". I was actually rather upset then, I thought I was the only person in New York to have what I have *sob*. Then a miraculous thing happened, the series of tubes that is "TEH INTERWEBZ" came into existence. The internet is, in my opinion, one of the greatest things to come along for the disabled community (I'll elaborate on this in a future post). Thanks to the internet, support groups became sooooooooooooooooo much easier to find and join. So I became in contact with serval people who had what I have. Suddenly I wasn't alone! We started having yearly parties at my house with about 20 to 50 people with my disorder there. It was awesome. I now know hundreds of people with my disability. Some of them are half-way around that world (CRIPPIE SHOUT OUT, Hi Norwegians! I can see that some of you have been looking at this blog!). Some of them are literally 15 minutes away (apparently I was very mis-informed about thinking I was the only person in NY with MHE). I talk to them on facebook, I see them every once in awhile. We help one another out and we are always there for each other.
So to answer the question, no, I don't feel alone. There are people all over the world that know what I am going through and I know what they are going through. I am not alone. Not of my fellow crippies are alone.

Crippie's Tippie- If you are a newly diagnosed crippie, support groups are a great place to find... well... support. They're great places in general for resources and advice for your specific disability, cause let's face it, no one knows about it more than the people who have it.


P.S. Happy Passover to my fellow Jews out there, Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...