Thursday, April 14, 2011

Disability & College

Oh Hai

As promised I would continue the discussion on how being disabled effects school, particularly college. First off, I chose a smaller campus that was for the most part handicap accessible. That was my first priority on my school wish list. Unfortunately the size and layout of various colleges kept me from going there, regardless of whatever education and scholarships they offered me. Once I selected my school I was surprised by how easy it was to get accommodations. I needed a dorm on the first floor, done. If I needed a copy of the teacher's notes I got them. I really was shocked at how pleasant that whole experience was. Luckily my disability hasn't effected the educational portion of my college experience. I wish I could say the same for my social life. The medications I take don't mix with alcohol, so I can't play drinking games with my friends. I can barely walk, let alone dance, so going to dances isn't exactly "fun". I have chronic fatigue (I get very tired, very easily) so I can't stay out at all hours of the night and what energy I do have is spent on my school work.

Dealing with that can definitely be a challenge. I try to keep in mind that I am not here to get black out drunk every weekend. I am here to get an education so I won't wind up on disability when I get out of here. Able-bodied readers, I have a question for you. What is the fun of getting black out drunk and spending the weekend vomiting?

Crippie's Tippie- Learn to make ice-cream related beverages. When you can't drink alcohol with you friends, chances are they will drink milk shakes with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...