Monday, February 7, 2011

Crippie's Introductory Blog Post

Greetings and Salutations!


My name is Nicole. I am very close to completing my degree in graphic design. As the title of my blog suggests, I am disabled. Over the next couple of months I will be trying to make my way through the world, attempting to get a job and all the fun things revolving around growing up. Regardless of who you are, the transition from college to the real world is not an easy one. I have the additional burden of a major disability on my shoulders. This blog will be about the trials, tribulations, and triumphs I experience as I try to overcome my illness and become a productive member of society.


And yes, I am fully aware of how calling myself "Crippie" might be considered offensive. To me, calling myself a borderline offensive term is a way of rising above my situation. I don't let the word cripple bother me. Actually, the word cripple is starting to lose its offensive power in my opinion.


Crippie's Tippie of the Day: Just because I am comfortable with the word "cripple" that doesn't mean that everyone with a physical challenge is. If you are gonna call someone a cripple, I would recommend saving it for your crippled friends that have a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...